Board of Stewardship
The Board of Stewardship here at Shadow of the Cross has essential assignments to perform in its mission to manage the gifts God gives this congregation.
This board is tasked with:
- Discovering the talents of the membership and enlisting them in the congregation program
- Assisting in training lay workers
- Sponsoring stewardship and mission talks, discussions, conference, plays, movies, pageants, etc., in the congregation and its organizations
- Working in close cooperation with the circuit and district stewardship committees, and encouraging larger attendance at circuit and district meetings regarding stewardship
- Fully informing the members of the congregation's program and opportunities to lengthen their outreach into all the world through the District and Synod
- Giving the congregation a clear vision of the world's needs of Christ and how they can supply that need
- Instructing the people in the grace of proportionate giving to God's work in their own parish and in the world
Parish Nurse Program at Shadow of the Cross
The Parish Nurse program is a health ministry that focuses on body, mind, and spirit and encourages physical and spiritual well-being. Parish nursing also offers those with nursing education and experience an opportunity to combine their God-given gifts and their faith to serve their church.
Because of the medical nature of the program, a registered nurse should chair this ministry, due to their extensive knowledge. The RN is then supported by a Health Ministry team. The team will consist of other health care providers, which can include military-trained medical specialists, LPNs, CNAs, respiratory therapists, and nutritionists.
Here at SOTC, we are re-establishing our team - Dorothy McClure, RN; Roderick McClure, medical specialist; and Deborah Quarles, LPN, served at Faith Lutheran Church. Ellis Threadcraft, RRT, was also available. We are recruiting others to join us!
Right now, of course, the Coronavirus is center stage. We applaud all the health care and essential workers on the frontlines during this pandemic. Let's continue to follow guidelines from the CDC:
- Wear a mask - indoors and outside
- Wash your hands - sanitize if soap and water are not available
- Maintain at least 6 feet of social distancing
- Become familiar with the various vaccines that will be distributed soon, pending FDA approval
And also continue with the following:
- Pray without ceasing
- Trust our Heavenly Father - pray that He will heal our land and His world
The Parish Nurse program is reorganizing and plans to meet soon. The sky is the limit as to what we will do. So, stay safe and healthy. God's peace to each and every one.
The vision, mission, goals, and strategies of Shadow of the Cross’s Unity Ministry are based on Ephesians 4:1-4.
Vision Statement: In all ways promote unity in the body of Christ.
Mission Statement [Verse 1]: “As a prisoner of the Lord, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.”
Goals [Verse 2]: “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”
- The ministry will meet once a month, usually after the weekly Bible class and occasionally on Sundays, to determine areas where additional church and community efforts need support.
- The support will be provided with time, talent, or treasure as available by a commitment from individual members.
Strategies [Verse 3]: “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”
- Immediate: To communicate with members of the congregation with birthday cards and on Holy Days (Christmas, Easter, etc.)
- Immediate: To support youth efforts by:
- Assisting as judges with the Annual Scholarship Essay Competition
- To support youth mentors as they guide youth programs
- To provide storytelling, testing and tutorial assistance, and support to Concordia Lutheran School when appropriate
- Immediate: To be accessible to the congregation at all times
- Developing: To reestablish the prayer chain as a link of communication to members of the congregation and others
- Developing: To assist the office staff with the maintenance of congregational mailboxes and other efforts as needed
- Long-Term: To provide support to the building of the library/computer center
- Long-Term: To create and maintain an archives area to house the treasures of the former congregations
Verse 4: “There is one body and one Spirit.”
Co-chairs are Annie Edwards and Barbara Hatcher.