At Shadow of the Cross Lutheran Church, the Board of Evangelism is charged with performing the following duties:
- Plan, promote, and carry out an evangelism program in the congregation and in the community
- Plan and supervise religious surveys of the community
- Arrange for the maintenance of record files in order to keep an evangelism program active
- Enlist aid in visiting prospective members of the church
- Assist the pastor in training the laity to bring the unchurched to the pastor's instruction classes
- Integrate new members into the life and work of the church
Some of the community organizations the board encourages support of include POBLO International, the AAA Pregnancy Center, the Detroit GoodFellows Doll Giveaway program and No Kiddie Without a Christmas program, and local food banks.
In addition, the board will be coordinating Bible Studies, picnics, and other special events.